Sunday, May 27, 2018

Review: Brightly Burning

Brightly Burning Brightly Burning by Alexa Donne
My rating: 2 of 5 stars


This book was quite a ride...and not a good one either...

So It started out really, really slow. But I powered on, knowing this is supposed to be a top book of the year, and I will say, It got alot better as I continued on. I thought the writting was really good and while the idea wasn't original (the book is a play on Jane Erye) the way the author put it out was real good.

The Earth is in an ice age, all inhibitants are now in space, NOT on Earth. Thing is, there are ranks...some of these space ships hold people that are a higher rank than others, Stella is at the bottom.
She applies for a job on another ship, and get's onto it! It's one of the top ships. Now the back of the book says "It's haunted" yada yada but that isn't even a huge part of the story or anything...so just ignore that part of the snippet.


Naturally she "falls in love" with the captain of the ship, not much originality there. He's not even that mysterious even though he snippet says he is...

And then all this crap goes down, It was like super super hard to follow.




BUUUUUUUUUT.....

Then we ran into issues...



As the story goes on, we learn that one of the main characters is "gay"...

Alright... this is a book for 12 years old, yet we decide to make a character gay?



So all I can say about this book is that it was way overhyped and I don't think it will do as good as the public thought it would.

I thank the publisher immensely for giving me an Advanced readers copy, It in no way impacted my review.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment