Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Review: What I Leave Behind

What I Leave Behind What I Leave Behind by Alison McGhee
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I'll be completely honest, I enjoyed this book 100 times more than I ever thought I would, It's nothing like I normally read, but that does not change the fact that it was one of the best books I've read this year.

We start off with Will trying to recreate his father's corn bread recipe, he seems really adamant about it, but we don't really know why at this point. He is a walker, he walks to clear his mind, to get places. He just started walking around after he lost his father.

The book is written in small one page chapters written as if Will's mind is speaking directly to us. Will walks around town and see's a homeless man, a small child living in poverty, his boss with special needs and his best friend, who was raped after he left a party.

Will has alot of doubt that he doesn't really ever seem to realize he has, he feels responsible for his best friend's rape, he feels responsible for his father.

The book is actually extremly disheartening, but it is very true to life. He walks and things just happen, there is no warning, no foreshadowing, life happens...

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment